• share
  • share
  • share


Spousal Support

When a couple legally separates or divorces, the court may order a spouse or a domestic partner to pay the other a certain amount of support money each month. This is called “spousal support” for married couples and “partner support” in domestic partnerships. It is sometimes also called “alimony.”

An order for spousal or partner support to be legally established and officially start, there must be a court case.

A spouse or domestic partner can ask the judge to make a spousal or partner support order in the following types of cases:

  • Divorce, legal separation, or annulment; or

  • A domestic violence restraining order.

You can ask for spousal or partner support to be paid while your case is going on. This is called a “temporary spousal support order” or a “temporary partner support order.” Support can also be ordered once the divorce or legal separation becomes final, as part of the final divorce or separation judgment. Once the case becomes final, it is called “permanent (or long-term) spousal or partner support.”

For further information visit http://www.courts.ca.gov/1038.htm


NOTE: The information on this web-portal is for your reference only and is not to be construed as legal advice, anybody doing so are doing it at their own risk and the firm holds no responsibility for its consequences in any form. We acknowledge that some content of this website has been reproduced from the web portal of http://www.courts.ca.gov/ essentially with a view to avoid ambiguity of legal topics discussed and to keep it factual. Please use your discretion to take legal assistance for your specific problem from a licensed attorney of your choice (including us). All cases and their results are unique and your problems may not get similar results as in other cases, we do not guarantee results of your choice, however, guarantee to represent your merits to get the very best desired outcome.